Located outside of the library doors
A Bloomingdale Free Public Library card in good standing brings the user the privileges of the Open Borrowing program, which has access to more than 10 million books, DVDs and CDs from over 150 public libraries in New Jersey.
To register for a library card you will need to show identification plus proof of residency, property ownership, school attendance or employment in Bloomingdale. Acceptable forms of ID include a New Jersery driving license, property deed or lease, car insurance, utility or tax bill. If you have questions about the type of identification required, please call the library at 973-838-0077.
Notary Public Service:
Free to Bloomingdale residents; $2.50 per seal for non-residents. Please call ahead to ensure notary public is available.
Libraries represent the memory of mankind and serve as irreplaceable repositories of human thought and action. As such, it is the mission of the BFPL to provide a well-rounded collection of resources and those services that contribute to the informational, educational, cultural and recreational needs of this community.
The library subscribes to the principles of the First Amendment to the US Constitution; the Library Bill of Rights of the American Library Association; the "Freedom to Read" statement and the "Policy of Confidentiality of Library Records" of the ALA.
The library is a vibrant center for community life and learning and reflects the pride the Borough takes in itself.
Brief History of the Library:
The first record of a library in Bloomingdale is a letter dated August 27, 1923. The letter was written to Emma A. Justice of New York City by the then Borough Clerk, Samuel D. Babcock, thanking her for a gift of 300 books. This was the foundation for Bloomingdale's public library.
Known for approximately two years as the Fred S. Justice Memorial Library, the library was reorganized in 1925 and named the
Bloomingdale Free Public Library. A Certificate of Incorporation was filed by the Library Association with the State of New Jersey on May 18, 1926.
From 1925 until 1958, the library was located in a small room on the second floor of the municipal building, then located at 15 Hamburg Turnpike. It was relocated in 1958 to a room in a one-story building adjacent to the municipal building.
In 1972, the library moved to the newly built municipal building at
101 Hamburg Turnpike. That same year, the voters of Bloomingdale passed a referendum establishing the library as a municipal library to be supported by municipal taxes effective January 1, 1973. Thereafter,
trustees have been appointed to serve on the Library Board of Trustees, as provided by the New Jersey Statutes governing the operation of municipal free public libraries.
Prominent events in the library's recent history include the computerization of all library functions, including catalog, circulation and financial reports in 1992. Membership in PALS Plus (the Computer Consortium of Passaic County Libraries) in 2002 allows our patrons access to library materials in all Passaic county libraries. In 2013, major renovations have updated the shelving, revamped the children's area, and re-organized the circulation desk. In
The library collection has grown to include: books, audio books, DVDs, music on CD, newspapers, online databases, and downloads such as E-books, music, movies, comics, and magazines. The library offers adult programs, book discussion groups, Film Festival and monthly Family movies, children's programs, English/Spanish classes, Adult Literacy Program, free Internet and WiFi access.